Home Pubs Sports Culture
  HOME>FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

GAA: Former Kerry footballer faces life saving surgery in UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjon3105
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: GAA: Former Kerry footballer faces life saving surgery in UK Reply with quote

By Michael O’Neill

Family and friends of former Kerry GAA star, Paul Curran , are this week urgently trying to raise some €80,000 needed to cover the cost of potentially lifesaving treatment in London for the Valentia Islander who last year was diagnosed with cancer of the colon, which spread rapidly to his liver.

Sadly Curran was given but 18 – 22 months to live, according to the ‘Irish Examiner’ as his condition was deemed to be inoperable.
Curran returned to Valentia Island to spend the remaining months of his life with wife Karen and their three children, Sara, 17, Clodagh, 13, and Caoimhe, 11.

New hope has arisen though as the 44 years old Curran has been offered a potentially life-saving liver resection at the world-famous Royal Marsden Hospital in London, where experts could treat him in April.

Paul’s wife Karen told the ‘Examiner’:

"The surgeon in the UK is absolutely confident that Paul can be operated on to save his life," said Karen.

"We have three young children and I wanted peace of mind that I did everything in my power. I don’t want my girls coming back to me in two or three or 10 years’ time saying ‘Mum, why didn’t you do anything else? Why didn’t you look abroad?’."

Karen added that their three daughters have been receiving counselling since learning that their dad is terminally ill.

Family and Friends of Paul have set up an “Emergency Appeal Fund” to help offset the costs of not only the treatment but travelling to and living costs in London and the coming weeks will see a number of fundraising events take place.

Curran, who starred for Kerry at all grades is currently undergoing chemotherapy at Kerry General Hospital to prepare him for the surgery in London, which will cost about €80,000.Cousin Noel Curran hopes to cycle all over Munster over two days in a bid to raise cash and awareness.

Paul was a fine midfielder, indeed one of the stars of the Kerry U21 team that reached the All-Ireland final in 1991 before joining the senior team in the 1992 league play-off against Meath.

Later he lived in Dublin for several years and starred as a member of the Ballyboden St Enda’s team which he led to a county title in 1995.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Europeanirish.com Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: