Home Pubs Sports Culture
  HOME>FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Boxing: Taylor defeats Leddy in Cork

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjon3105
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Boxing: Taylor defeats Leddy in Cork Reply with quote

by Michael O'Neill

A third win in seven days for Katie Taylor last night as the World number one comprehensively outpointed Breaux Bridge,Louisiana born Liz Leddy before a very enthusiastic crowd at the Silver Springs Hotel in Cork City.

Tonight the two boxers meet again at Dungarvan Sports Centre in West Waterford where Leddy,( the U.S National champion of 2011 and a silver medallist at the 2007 Golden Gloves tournament) , will attempt to reverse last night's unanimous decision.

The Cork tournament was organised by the St John's B.C in Fermoy and once again praise to Patrick Flynn,and the rest of the committee for having put together a top class bill.

Taylor is no stranger to Cork as in recent years she has fought in Fermoy, Ballyhooley,Youghal and at the Rochestown Park Hotel so no great surprise that Cork fans have 'adopted' Taylor as if she was one of their own.

A similar reception awaits in Dungarvan tonight where she has also fought on several occasions including a comprehensive win over GB Boxing Olympic hopeful Amanda Coulson.

Full marks though to Liz Leddy, the 30 years old U.S star , now based in Portland, Maine. She came out aggressively from the first bell and attempted to take the fight to Taylor.

No way was she prepared to allow Taylor to take the initiative from the off. Taylor's response was fast and furious - three of her trademark left hooks in the opening phase. More of the same in round two though at a slightly less frenetic pace.

Another good round from the American in round three, though visibly tiring but by then Taylor was well in command.

Hardly surprisingly round four was one where both boxers were tiring though Taylor did add a punishing right hander which resulted in a standing count of eight for the gallant American.

Later the Bray woman after paying tribute to Leddy went on : "I'm very happy with that performance. Liz Leddy was great. It's very useful to box against the different styles. We knew what to expect when fighting her - it was non-stop attack for four rounds. But we did well - our tactics were perfect".

She told BreakingNews.ie : ""The crowd were unbelievable" adding that "They always get behind you so much in these kind of nights. It was an amazing atmosphere to fight in, which helped make the night so enjoyable. I think I've fought in Cork four or five times now and each time it is fantastic"

Of her quest for qualification for the Olympic Games she again warned reporters of the need to avoid being over confident: "I just take each day as it comes. I keep getting congratulations for qualifying for the Olympics - I think I've been getting them for about a year now but I'm far from qualified! All I can do is go to China in the best condition I can be in, and perform to the best of my ability".

And her hopes for the months ahead? : ""I'm getting stronger and fitter. I've lots of work to do and a bit of fine tuning to my condition. By the time China comes around, I should be absolutely spot on."

"It's a big year with the Euros and the world champs and then hopefully the Olympics. First things first though, I want to retain my world championship and come home with my fourth world title."

And so to Dungarvan tonight for the Crotty Memorial Tournament in honour of that late great Dungarvan boxer Peter Crotty ; Leddy is replacing another American N'yeetah Sherman who suffered a facial injury in training earlier this week.

The young 19 years old Sherman, from Ohio, had reportedly put a Professional debut 'on hold' to have a crack at Taylor - alas that is not now possible but the Dungarvan crowd will find Leddy (who has Clare and Cavan ancestors) is herself all out to upset the odds tonight.

For Taylor though last night was her 124th win from 131 bouts - a remarkable record especially when one considers that the defeats include some debatable decisions against such as Tatar, Ochigava and Eliseeva earlier in her career.
mjon3105
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Taylor wins in Dungarvan Reply with quote

by Michael O'Neill

Another very convincing win for Katie Taylor in Dungarvan on Saturday night at expense of United States star, Liz Leddy. Report to follow .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Europeanirish.com Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: